Financial Assistance

What’s Offered:

  • Funds:
    For family emergencies such as…
    • Utilities (gas, electric, water) – help with fees, re-connection or deposit
    • Rent/Mortgage payment
    • Medical
      • Prescription medication, HIP premium payment, physical exam or TB test required for new job
      • Prescriptions must be ready for pick-up at your pharmacy
    • GED test fee
  • Amounts:
    • Generally less than $70; decisions are made on a case-by-case basis
    • There is also a total amount allowed per household per year
  • How often:
    • Not more than every 30 days — or until your household annual limit is reached
    • Generally do not help with the same bill more than once
  • Referrals to other assistance programs
  • NO funds for doctor bills, car repairs, gasoline for cars, bus tokens, court or legal fees, bills not yet past due, bills too large
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) & the Answers may be found HERE

How to get funds from the Financial Assistance Program:

    • DAYS/TIMES – Monday – Friday, 8:15 a.m.
    • LOCATION – LUM Office, 420 N 4th Street, Lafayette, IN
    • CityBus – Route #1A Market Square – Drop off at Brown Street and 4th Street
    • Priority will be given to in person requests over online requests
  • Online Requests
      • This Form is ONLY for Individuals who are NOT able to Request Assistance In-Person (M-F – 8:15AM) due to Disability, Work Schedule or Illness .
      • Priority will be given to in person requests over online requests.
      • You may not hear back from us immediately after submitting the “request form.”
      • One of our staff members will get back to you via email or phone as soon as they are able to get to your request. In the meantime, please submit the request form and then send all documentation (see below) related to your request to
      • For more information, please READ this entire page. click HERE.
      • Thank you for your patience.
    • Complete online Financial Assistance Request form, click HERE
    • Submit all documentation through email to
    • LUM staff will email or call you to follow up — AFTER all documentation has been submitted.

Who may get funds from the Financial Assistance Program:

  • Tippecanoe County residents only
  • Income: up to 175% of federal poverty guideline

What you should bring in person or submit with online request:

  • Picture ID
  • Names & birth-dates of all adults & children in your household
  • Required paperwork:
    • Utilities – Gas, Electric, Water
      • Current Disconnect notice
      • Your Current Bill from the Utility company
    • Rent/Mortgage
      • Copy of your Current Lease or Bank Payment Book
      • Rent Receipt or a Letter from your Landlord
    • Medical
      • Prescription — Name & phone number of your Pharmacy
      • HIP — current bill
      • Physical/TB Test — Note from your new employer or the employment agency – listing Physical Exam or TB Test is required
    • GED Test Fee — proof of current enrollment and testing date
    • Work-related clothing
      • Note from your new employer or the employment agency – listing required clothes like work boots or uniform

FAQs | Other Resources | Home | Top of Page |

Contact information:

Angel Valentin, Financial Assistance Program director
765.423.2691 |